Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Unusual Bug Spotted on the Golf Course--How to ID

I found an unusual bug, for me anyway since I'm new to the south of the US and new to Florida.

Here's the bug photo:

So I went looking to see what he might be. I found two species, closely related  in the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders. One was a stink bug and the other was a plant bug. Both bugs have many different species. So then I went searching on the internet.

The first I found was the green stink bug. This bug matched in terms of green color and the shield like appearance of the back, but no picture showed this marking.

So I searched for plant bug. Many different types showed up along with a number of insect sprays on how to  kill them. Ooops, I didn't bother to squish it when I could, I was too fascinated by its odd appearance.

Then I found this site: http://www.cirrusimage.com/bugs_plant.htm

I believe the correct species is the Scentless Plant Bug, harmostes species. It's a sucking insect and mint and daisies are a target. Learn something new every day.

No comments:

Chitika